Friday, September 10, 2010

Collage


I sifted through many ideas and rough sketches until I decided to go with a more airy, free, and spontaneous style for my collage. I wanted the finished product to seem as if it was more of a pile of pieces rather than an organized pattern, therefore many of the segments used are torn magazine pages or shapes I created. The focal point is evident, my face, which are surrounded by words, phrases, shapes and colors that are pleasing to me. The words or phrases I chose help describe myself in a more literal sense rather than the deeper meaning of some elements. With the intent to keep the shape of the poster board, I soon found that the chaotic arrangement did not coincide with the sharp, clean-cut edges of the material. I was also hoping that with a more disorganized method, movement would come into play, something very relevant in my life.


Decisions: I wanted a loose, free flowing energy to my collage, two things that I believe describe me best. Being an art major, I have also learned that I lean more towards this abstract style of work.

Color: There are many colors in my collage, mostly because I don't have any favorites. I also chose bright, uplighting hues to display my usual mindset. I attempted to keep cool colors more towards the top left while warm colors were in the bottom right. My plan was to merge them together so it would seem like a constant cycle of changing colors and tones.

Light: As a whole, my collage tends to portray a lighter tone, but the face, along with certain phrases or random cut-outs, creates some darkness. This has no correlation to emotions though; I simply thought it would add greater emphasis and dramatization.

Texture: The various patterns throughout the composition create a sense of texture. Especially in the hair I created, I tried to focus on patterns and texture to create a sense of depth and volume.

Volume: This sense of volume was created in the hair like I said above. Also, on the face, I added shadows to allow the skin to seem real instead of one, flat color.

Line: I chose to use an off-center composition, with the head being the focal point. With the attempt at making the colors remain at a constant cycle, I also tried to make the viewer's eye constantly moving in a circular pattern. When I look at it, my eyes seem to move clockwise from the head.

Space: The head, along with the group of phrases and words, were meant to be in the foreground where as the patterns, shapes, and other colors were to be in the background. There are some instances were shapes appear to be in the foreground as well.

Scale: Again, with the head being the focal point, it was also intentionally the biggest component. Seeing as this collage was describing myself, I thought the size of the head was appropriate.

Symbolism: 1) The style of collage as a whole represents the style of my life- spontaneous, free, and constantly moving. 2) I used pictures of Earthy elements to shape my hair. I believe that the environment around me has created how I am. 3) The words symbolize characteristics that describe me. 4) The paint splattered around symbolizes my passion for art.

You: The colors, shape and tone help describe who I am. Also, the paint used describes my love for art while the words and phrases describe me in a more simple form.

Friends and Family: One of the words I cut out was "home" which is very important to me. When I think of 'home', I think about people more than just my immediate family; I think of friends and the people who love me most.

Your town, community, school: "Child in the city" was a phrase a chose to describe this theme. All my life I have lived in Nashville, nor will I ever move. It also is the central element of my community and school.

Your country: I was born in the Philippines, so I incorporated that in to my collage. One of the photos that I contorted to use for my hair was a forest in the Philippines. Not only was I using the colors and patterns, but I purposely used it on my head because that is fully where I am from.

The world today: There are many elements that I used for this theme. many of the pages I ripped out and tore up were photos of galaxies, landscapes, and other elements in nature. When I think of 'the world today', my mind automatically thinks land, earth, sky, space rather than the community aspects of the world.

Art: Art is a very important element for me. It's my passion and most of the time my medicine. Any form of art is soothing and pleasing. Also, it does not matter if I'm participating or not; I could simply be looking at paintings and it will seem almost therapeutic.

History: I believe that no matter where you live, where you're from, etc, history has shaped who you are and who you will become. For me, again, the history of art shapes me differently every day. Art is part of history; it's involved with interior design, architecture, and many elements that are in are everyday life.

4 comments:

  1. I love the fact that your main focus with this collage is all about you. It really focuses on who you are as a person and where you are from. The first time I looked at your collage I saw a kind of islandly theme, and what I'm getting from your written portion is that that is the theme you were going for, especially since you are from the Pilippines. I also really like the fact that your collage is not a perfect shape, it is jagged and also incorporates itself into the island theme that I get from it.
    Your hair is also another great aspect of your collage because of the texture idea that you were going for. The colors incoporated into the collage are brighter colors, as you stated above, and I believe that those were actually the best colors to go with. I felt thoses were the best colors to go with because to me, they seem like colors that give off a real free and fun feel, which is another theme of your collage. Your decisions were very wise choices and I really like this whole thing. I beleive you did a really good job on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your collage. It is different than everyone elses in our group and you organized it in a unique way that has the focus on you, which I like. I think it is really great how you incorportated the different aspects of your life and heritage into your hair and different parts of your collage. I also really like that you have the lines "pick your own" and "I chose" in your collage speaking towards your and your life as an individual. You also did a really great job on your face and porportions for a collage. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a unique collage. I love the way everything is pieced together to make an interesting piece that seems to describe you very well. Your passion for art is made very obvious from the first look at your collage. I really like your take on the word 'home' and its meaning in your life. Everything about your work is clearly very well thought out and makes for a very interesting and informative take on what makes you you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a really nice job creating volume and roundness in your face particularly. It was kind of hard to tell from a picture, but after reading the description of your thought process and how it was put together, I think you really nailed that aspect of the assignment. I love the way you created your hair and other things out of specific images that were relevant to your life. I think that was a pretty symbolic method in itself. The shapes in your hair and the shape of the collage are, like you said, very free flowing; its a nice effect. The collage itself almost looks like a dream or thought bubble that would be floating above your head in a cartoon.

    ReplyDelete