Friday, August 27, 2010



Claude Monet's La Promenade, created in 1865, is what I believe to be my favorite painting that I have seen. I like it mostly because it caught my eye the first time I had ever caught a glimpse of it, and because it is around the same aesthetic that I like to used in my artwork. The first time I saw this painting was in an Art History class that I took first semester freshmen year, and ever since, I have loved this painting. Unfortunately, I have not seen it in person yet, but I plan to in the near future. The colors, as well as the mysteriousness that is portrayed in this piece, make it special to me.
The focal point, being the older women with the umbrella, allows the painting to become a balanced composition. There is volume in this work, which is created mainly with the boy. He is drawn smaller to create the illusion that there is more space that goes beyond the borders of this painting. The colors that were used here add an airy vibe to the painting, just as if the wind was gushing around in the field that they are in. The cool colors bring great calmness to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment